godtalketc

Conversations concerning public expressions and involvement of the evangelical community.

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

It has been a week since my last post and I have been blessed by comments from my two sons (one published, the other to my personal email) and someone else unknown to me. I am amazed, really, by the kindness of the responses. When I began this blog I intended for it to be theological reflections about the Evangelical movement in America. I intentionally stayed away from personal comments. I have read and heard too many self-serving testimonials in my life, full of outward praises and inward gratifications. In my preaching days, it was too easy to fall into pious platitudes of self abasement that intended on one level to bring praise to God but at another level sought praise for the preacher. I did not want to do that in this blog; hopefully I haven't. But one must always be fearful in revealing personal information, lest more attention and praise be brought to the self than to the Lord of all, who alone is worthy of praise. In the Proverbs we find the phrase: where there are many words there wanteth not for sin. However, I have been encouraged by the comments received and will continue to try to be open to whatever else I might be able to write under God's leading (to the best of my fallible discernment). Perhaps the sovereign Lord had other intentions for my blog than did I.

To catch you up to date, the journey of this past week has been for the most part very positive. There is a new-found power to confront impure thoughts and actions. But it is a moment by moment life; enough slips have occurred in me to remind me that our battles must be waged continually in the whole armor of God. While in this life we are forever subjected to the things of this world and of our minds that vie for our allegiance. It has been a source of power for me this week to continually ask myself: do you love me more than these? It is a simple question with a simple answer; at any given time we may answer in the affirmative or in the negative--and our actions reveal the true affinity of our heart.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad, sometimes I think the idols in our hearts get built up over time (before we realize they are there even!) and then once we DO realize we are there, the real battle begins - and continues. I, too, am thankful for your openness. I know it is hard...I still am not 100% able to be real and feel confident in that...but God is showing me how important it is. I think humility is a big part of being teachable. I have been encouraged in my own quest for "realness" and openness by Psalm 32. It says that when I kept silent my bones began wasting away...it's not good for us. :)

Love,
Candace

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more thing...I think by being open and real we are revealing that WE are not perfect but HE is...and therefore, we aren't glorifying ourselves, but the only ONE who is worthy of our glory. I do understand what you are saying, though about not wanting the attention on yourself.

Candace

3:28 PM  
Blogger bill rosser said...

Thanks for the very valid comments. Pride is very subtle; openness may not always be profitable when, in confessing sin, we take pride in our confession! And too much detail sometimes places ideas in the minds of others (as happened to me as a college student listening to testimonies of Campus Crusade leaders). But in principle I agree, and especially do I hope that a certain amount of openness will provide some freedom for others (especially my own kids).

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Debbie told me you were back to your blogging, so I've made a rapid reading of your last four or five comments. If you can find the energy I really believe that Bunyan's "Holy War . . ." writing (available on the internet) would prove relevant to much that you are writing about. I've never read anyone that seemed to understand temptation and the games our minds play as well as Bunyan did. Bunyan's view of the way God responds to backsliders (which virtually all of us prove to be from time to time) is simply different from anything I've ever ran across. The Holy War is all about the town of Mansoul, the battle for it and the battles that rage in it!

8:07 PM  
Blogger bill rosser said...

Holy War is among the books I gave away last year, along with virtually my entire library. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to look for it again.

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy War can be downloaded free of charge from several web sites in missioin to make Bunyan's writings known---The name "Bunyan" will get you to them.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home