godtalketc

Conversations concerning public expressions and involvement of the evangelical community.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

LESSON 4

THE CROSS: Part I
"But God demonstrates his love for us in that while we were still sinners Christ died for us." There are so many aspects to this event that I will address certain categories one day at a time, not necessarily in any order of importance. First, there is the ethical consideration, not usually given the important place it deserves in our theology. Jesus went to the cross because of the life he lived. Although ordained of God, the cross came a result of the historical life of Jesus. The cross did not occur in a vacuum--it came as the result of a life given completely to the will of God. "I always do those things which please the Father." We do injustice to the meaning of the cross if we, in our desire to focus on it being the theological basis for our forgiveness, which it is, neglect to see that the cross represented the culmination of a life lived in complete harmony with God. I cannot claim the benefits of the cross, nor can I claim solidarity with its meaning, if I am not willing to share in the lifestyle of Jesus that occasioned it. In other words, for me to claim the cross as significant in my life also means for me to be willing to live the cross-centered life. "If anyone wishes to come after me, let him take up his cross daily and follow me." It is helpful for us to remember that the cross would have been of no effect if Jesus had gone there unwillingly, stubbornly, or stoically. God's acceptance of Jesus' sacrifice implies his acceptance also of the life that went before. The event of the cross cannot be separated from the life that went before. For me it means that I cannot rejoice in my forgiveness if I am not willing to share in the sacrificial and obedient life that Jesus lived. This is the difficult part for us. We gladly accept the forgiveness but less willingly desire to live the cross-centered life. And although we will never live it in the full obedience that Jesus did, for us to claim Christianity as our faith is to accept the responsibility of living the life of sacrifice and obedience that Jesus lived. And, contrary to what we often hear preached, a life lived today in obedience to God will produce much the same result that it did in Jesus" day: a cross. Paul said, "I die daily." The abundant life of which Jesus spoke is not a life consisting of the abundance of possessions and comfort but rather the abundance of Christ's life within us in the midst of life's challenges, difficulties and sufferings. Let us aspire to be true followers of Christ as we lift high the cross he bore for us. "Jesus, I my cross have taken."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home